Skip to Main Content
The forest-land owners of New JerseyAuthor(s): Neal P. Kingsley
Source: Resour. Bull. NE-39. Upper Darby, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 24p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1.05 MB)
DescriptionResults of a mail canvass of forest-land owners in New Jersey, conducted in conjunction with the second forest survey of the State, show that there are 63,600 owners of the 1,537,900 acres of privately owned commercial forest land in the State. These owners hold an average of 24.2 acres each. However, more than half of the ownerships are of less than 10 acres, so the private commercial forest land is extremely fragmented. Few owners hold forested land for timber production. New Jersey forest-land owners hold their land either as part of their residence or as a real-estate investment. Only 1 percent of the owners hold forest land for timber production. These owners hold 2 percent of the private commercial forest land. Despite this, 51 percent of the private forest land in the State is held by owners who express a willingness to harvest timber. New Jersey forest-land owners frequently utilize the services of a forester when they do harvest. Only about one-third of the privately owned commercial forest land in the State is available to the public for any form of recreation.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKingsley, Neal P. 1975. The forest-land owners of New Jersey. Resour. Bull. NE-39. Upper Darby, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 24p.
Keywordsforest-land owners, private commercial forest land, available timber, forestry assistance, recreation
- The forest-land owners of West Virginia
- The forest-land owners of Pennsylvania
- Forest ownership dynamics of southern forests
XML: View XML