Skip to Main Content
Ecological criteria, participant preferences and location models: A GIS approach toward ATV trail planningAuthor(s): Stephanie A. Snyder; Jay H. Whitmore; Ingrid E. Schneider; Dennis R. Becker
Source: Applied Geography. 28: 248-258.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1.17 MB)
DescriptionThis paper presents a geographic information system (GIS)-based method for recreational trail location for all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) which considers environmental factors, as well as rider preferences for trail attributes. The method utilizes the Least-Cost Path algorithm within a GIS framework to optimize trail location. The trail location algorithm considered trail impacts and benefits associated with water bodies, slope, land ownership, noise, trail separation, views, and rider preferences for vegetation types and loop trails. Alternative trails were generated to highlight the influence of different preferences for trail attributes and to demonstrate the capabilities of the Least-Cost Path algorithm as applied to trail location. The method shows promise for use in generating ATV trails, as well as other types of recreational trails, for consideration in recreational planning and analysis.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSnyder, Stephanie A.; Whitmore, Jay H.; Schneider, Ingrid E.; Becker, Dennis R. 2008. Ecological criteria, participant preferences and location models: A GIS approach toward ATV trail planning. Applied Geography. 28: 248-258.
KeywordsGIS, motorized recreation, least-cost path, Dijkstra algorithm, trail design
- Are all-terrain vehicle riders willing to pay trail user fees to ride on public lands in the USA?
- Impacts of all terrain vehicles (ATV) on National Forest lands and grasslands [Abstract]
- Motorized recreation in Pennsylvania
XML: View XML