Skip to Main Content
First records of Hygrophoraceae from Panama including a new species of Camarophyllus and a new veiled species in Hygrocybe section FirmaeAuthor(s): D.J. Lodge; C.L. Ovrebo
Source: Fungal Diversity. 32: 69-80.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (913.39 KB)
DescriptionSix species of Hygrophoraceae were collected on Barro Colorado Island, representing the first fully documented records for the family from Panama. A species with a pink pileus and stipe, a glutinous partial veil, and dimorphic spores and basidia, Hygrocybe roseopallida Lodge & Ovrebo sp. nov. is described in H. section Firmae from Panama, and a more strongly pigmented form is also reported from Costa Rica. Hyphae of the outer veil are connected to the appendiculate pileipellis margin while those of the inner veil emanate from the lamellar edge. Partial veils have not been previously reported in Hygrocybe s.s. (i.e., excluding Camarophyllus). Additionally, four other species of H. section Firmae are newly reported here from Panama: Hygrocybe batistae, H. hypohaemacta, H. chloochlora and H. cf. earlei. The latter species differs from the type of H. earlei by having a white stipe and larger spore Q. Finally, we describe a second new species, Camarophyllus panamensis Lodge & Ovrebo sp. nov., which resembles C. ferrugineoalbus (Singer) Singer, but differs in having an orange stipe and much larger spores.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLodge, D.J.; Ovrebo, C.L. 2008. First records of Hygrophoraceae from Panama including a new species of Camarophyllus and a new veiled species in Hygrocybe section Firmae. Fungal Diversity. 32: 69-80.
KeywordsAgaricales, Basidiomycota, Central America, fungal taxonomy, neotropical fungi
- New species of Cerambycidae from Panama, with new distribution records (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae)
- Hygrophoraceae of the Greater Antilles : Hygrocybe subgenus Hygrocybe
- New Elaphomyces species (Elaphomycetaceae, Eurotiales, Ascomycota) from Guyana
XML: View XML