Skip to Main Content
Hurricane Hugo Effects on South Carolina's Forest ResourceAuthor(s): Raymond M. Sheffield; Michael T. Thompson
Source: Res. Pap. SE-284. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southeastern Forest Experiment Station. 60 p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Southeastern Forest Experiment Station
View PDF (4.3 MB)
DescriptionHurricane Hugo struck South Carolina in September 1989 causing extensive mortality and damage to forest stands in 23 counties. The Forest Inventory and Analysis Work Unit at the Southeastern Forest Experiment Station conducted a special inventory of the damaged area in 1990. This Paper presents the results of that inventory and documents procedures used in the inventory and analysis. More than 4.5 million acres of timberland were significantly damaged. Volume of softwood growing stock was reduced by 21 percent with nearly one-third of the remaining volume damagedto some degree. Hardwoods sustained less immediate loss-6 percent-but one-third of the remaining hardwoods was damaged. Hurricane Hugo added more than 1 million acres to South Carolina's backlog of acreage needing regeneration.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSheffield, Raymond M.; Thompson, Michael T. 1992. Hurricane Hugo Effects on South Carolina''s Forest Resource. Res. Pap. SE-284. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southeastern Forest Experiment Station. 60 p.
KeywordsForest inventory, forest-damage assessments, tree-damage classifications, wind damage
- Hurricane Hugo: South Carolina Forest Land Research and Management Related to the Storm
- The state of South Carolina's forests, 2001
- Comparing vegetation cover in the Santee Experimental Forest, South Carolina (USA), before and after hurricane Hugo: 1989-2011
XML: View XML