Skip to Main Content
The forest-land owners of PennsylvaniaAuthor(s): Thomas W. Birch; Donald F. Dennis
Source: Resour. Bull. NE-66. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 90p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (2.78 MB)
DescriptionSeventy-eight percent of Pennsylvania's 15.9 million acres of commercial forest land is in the hands of 490,100 private owners. Landowner information is, therefore, an essential component in obtaining a thorough understanding of Pennsylvania's forest resources. Eighty-six percent of these owners are individuals. A large majority, 63 percent of these owners, live within a mile of their nearest tract and 86 percent own only one tract. Slightly more than half have held woodland for more than 10 years. Forest industries hold only 8 percent of the privately owned forest land. Benefits other than timber production are most important to most landowners, 75 percent have never harvested timber. Slightly more than half of the private owners permit some form of recreational use of their land by the public.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBirch, Thomas W.; Dennis, Donald F. 1980. The forest-land owners of Pennsylvania. Resour. Bull. NE-66. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 90p.
- Forest-land owners of Maine, 1982
- The forest-land owners of New York
- The forest-land owners of Kentucky
XML: View XML