Skip to Main Content
Linking ecological and social scales for natural resource managementAuthor(s): Kristiina A. Vogt; Morgan Grove; Heidi Asjornsen; Keely B. Maxwell; Daniel J. Vogt; Ragnhildur Sigurdardottir; Bruce C. Larson; Leo Schibli; Michael Dove
Source: In: Liu, Jianguo; Taylor, William W., eds. Integrating landscape ecology into natural resource management. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge Press: 143-175.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (8.44 MB)
DescriptionNatural resource management has moved from a single disciplinary and one resource management approach to an interdisciplinary and ecosystem-based approach. Many conceptual models are being developed to understand and implement ecosystem management and forest certification initiatives that require an integration of data from both the social and natural systems (Vogt et al, 1997, 1999a,b). These changed approaches to natural resource management arose from a perception that variables critical in controlling the health and functioning of an ecosystem could only be determined by integrating information from both the social and the natural sciences (Vogt et al., 1997). However, it has been difficult to take many of the theoretical discussions and the frameworks or conceptual models that they have produced and to operationalize or put them into practice on the ground.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationVogt, Kristiina A.; Grove, Morgan; Asjornsen, Heidi; Maxwell, Keely B.; Vogt, Daniel J.; Sigurdardottir, Ragnhildur; Larson, Bruce C.; Schibli, Leo; Dove, Michael. 2002. Linking ecological and social scales for natural resource management. In: Liu, Jianguo; Taylor, William W., eds. Integrating landscape ecology into natural resource management. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge Press: 143-175.
- Bridging the gap between landscape ecologyand natural resource management
- Power in urban social-ecological systems: Processes and practices of governance and marginalization
- Putting multiple use and sustained yield into a landscape context
XML: View XML