Skip to Main Content
Interim Site-index Curves for Longleaf Pine PlantationsAuthor(s): William D. Boyer
Source: Res. Note SO-261. New Orleans, LA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Forest Experiment Station. 5 p.
Publication Series: Research Note (RN)
Station: Southern Forest Experiment Station
View PDF (110 KB)
DescriptionNo single set of site-index curves can be uniformly applied to young longleaf pine plantations without a sacrifice in reliability. A recent study using plantation remeasurement data indicated that planting-site condition (old fields and mechanically prepared or unprepared cutover forest sites) has a major impact on early plantation height growth. Stand density (surviving trees per acre) also affected form of height-over-age curves. On both prepared and unprepared forest sites, site quality affected curve form, so polymorphic site-index curves resulted for these two conditions. Longleaf pine plantation site-index curves for these three planting-site conditions were derived from 660 plots remeasured through ages 15 to 17 or 20 to 22 years. Modification of the curves may be necessary as more data become available.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBoyer, William D. 1980. Interim Site-index Curves for Longleaf Pine Plantations. Res. Note SO-261. New Orleans, LA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Forest Experiment Station. 5 p.
- Site and stand factors affecting height growth curves of longleaf pine plantations
- Variations in height-over-age curves for young longleaf pine plantations
- An Updated Site Index Equation for Naturally Regenerated Longleaf Pine Stands
XML: View XML