Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Electrophysiological response and attraction of emerald ash borer to green leaf volatiles (GLVs) emitted by host foliageAuthor(s): Peter de Groot; Gary G. Grant; Therese M. Poland; Roger Scharbach; Linda Buchan; Reginald W. Nott; Linda Macdonald; Doug Pitt
Source: Journal of Chemical Egology. 34: 1170-1179.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (547.84 KB)
DescriptionGreen leaf volatiles (GLVs) function as host attractants, pheromone synergists, or sexual kairomones for a number of coleopteran folivores. Hence, we focused on host GLVs to determine if they were attractive to adults of the emerald ash borer, Agrilus planipennis (Coleoptera: Buprestidae), which feeds on ash (Fraxinus) foliage. Eight GLVs were identified by chromatography-electroantennogram (GC) and GC-mass spectrometry in foliar headspace volatiles collected in traps containing Super-Q from white ash, Fraxinus americana, and green ash, Fraxinus pennsylvanica, trees. GLVs in the aeration extracts elicited antennal responses from both male and female adults in gas chromatography-electroantennogram detection bioassays.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
Citationde Groot, Peter; Grant, Gary G.; Poland, Therese M.; Scharbach, Roger; Buchan, Linda; Nott, Reginald W.; Macdonald, Linda; Pitt, Doug. 2008. Electrophysiological response and attraction of emerald ash borer to green leaf volatiles (GLVs) emitted by host foliage. Journal of Chemical Egology. 34: 1170-1179.
Keywordsbuprestidae, Agrilus planipennis, bioassay, green leaf volatiles, (Z)-3-hexenol, emerald ash borer, GC-EAD, aeration extracts, Fraxinus spp., leaf volatiles
- Silvics and silviculture of ash in mixed hardwood forests of the southern bottomlands and loessial hills
- Differential utilization of ash phloem by emerald ash borer larvae: Ash species and larval stage effects
- The distribution of ash in North America
XML: View XML