Skip to Main Content
Conterminous U.S. and Alaska Forest Type Mapping Using Forest Inventory and Analysis DataAuthor(s): B. Ruefenacht; M.V. Finco; M.D. Nelson; R. Czaplewski; E.H. Helmer; J. A. Blackard; G.R. Holden; A.J. Lister; D. Salajanu; D. Weyermann; K. Winterberger
Source: Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing Vol. 74, No. 11, November 2008, pp. 1379-1388.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (438.85 KB)
DescriptionClassification-trees were used to model forest type groups and forest types for the conterminous United States and Alaska. The predictor data were a geospatial data set with a spatial resolution of 250 m developed by the U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service (USFS). The response data were plot data from the USFS Forest Inventory and Analysis program. Overall accuracies for the conterminous U.S. for the forest type group and forest type were 69 percent (Kappa = 0.66) and 50 percent (Kappa = 0.57), respectively. The overall accuracies for Alaska for the forest type group and forest type were 78 percent (Kappa = 0.69) and 67 percent (Kappa = 0.61), respectively. This is the first forest type map produced for the U.S. The forest type group map is an update of a previous forest type group map created by Zhu and Evans (1994).
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRuefenacht, B.; Finco, M.V.; Nelson, M.D.; Czaplewski, R.; Helmer, E.H.; Blackard, J. A.; Holden, G.R.; Lister, A.J.; Salajanu, D.; Weyermann, D.; Winterberger, K. 2008. Conterminous U.S. and Alaska forest Ttpe mapping using forest inventory and analysis data. Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing Vol. 74, No. 11, November 2008, 10 p.
- Synergistic use of FIA plot data and Landsat 7 ETM+ images for large area forest mapping
- Mapping U.S. forest biomass using nationwide forest inventory data and moderate resolution information
- A vegetation mapping strategy for conifer forests by combining airborne LiDAR data and aerial imagery
XML: View XML