Skip to Main Content
Forest Land Ownership in the Conterminous United States [map]Author(s): Mark D. Nelson; Greg C. Liknes
Source: In: Law, M., ed. 2007. ESRI Map Book. Vol. 22. ESRI Press: Redlands, CA.
Publication Series: Other
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (6.21 MB)
DescriptionPatterns of public and private forestland ownership vary across the United States. For example, two-thirds of western forestland is publicly owned, mostly by federal agencies such as the U.S. Forest Service (USFS), Bureau of Land Management, and National Park Service. However, more than 80 percent of eastern forestland is privately owned. Private forestland is further differentiated by industrial ownership classes. Private industrial forest is land owned by a company or corporation that operates a primary wood-using plant, such as a sawmill or paper mill. The heaviest concentrations of private industrial forestland are in the Northeast, South, and Pacific Northwest.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationNelson, Mark D.; Liknes, Greg C. 2007. Forest Land Ownership in the Conterminous United States [map]. In: Law, M., ed. 2007. ESRI Map Book. Vol. 22. ESRI Press: Redlands, CA.
- Decadal trends in net ecosystem production and net ecosystem carbon balance for a regional socioecological system
- Small-scale non-industrial private forest ownership in the United States: rationale and implications for forest management
- Methods for estimating private forest ownership statistics: revised methods for the USDA Forest Service's National Woodland Owner Survey
XML: View XML