Skip to Main Content
Turning data into knowledge for over 50 years: USDA Forest Service research on the Penobscot Experimental ForestAuthor(s): Laura S. Kenefic; Paul E. Sendak; John C. Brissette
Source: In: Irland, Lloyd C.; Camp, Ann E.; Brissette, John C.; and Donohew, Zachary R., eds. Long-term Silvicultural & Ecological Studies: Results for Science and Management. New Haven, CT: Yale University: 26-33
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (719.88 KB)
DescriptionScientists from the Northeastern Research Station of the USDA Forest Service have been conducting long-term silvicultural research on the Penobscot Experimental Forest (PEF) in Maine since the early 1950s. The core experiment, which includes 10 replicated treatments, has generated an extensive dataset on forest response to both silvicultural treatments and exploitative cutting. The PEF research is an important source of information on managing the Acadian Forest, and is the site of additional physiological, ecological and management studies conducted by Forest Service scientists and cooperators. The value of the core experiment will continue to increase as additional data are collected.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKenefic, Laura S.; Sendak, Paul E.; Brissette, John C. 2006. Turning data into knowledge for over 50 years: USDA Forest Service research on the Penobscot Experimental Forest. In: Irland, Lloyd C.; Camp, Ann E.; Brissette, John C.; and Donohew, Zachary R., eds. Long-term Silvicultural & Ecological Studies: Results for Science and Management. New Haven, CT: Yale University: 26-33
- Sampling and measurement protocols for long-term silvicultural studies on the Penobscot Experimental Forest
- Penobscot Experimental Forest: 60 years of research and demonstration in Maine, 1950-2010
- Long-term research on classical silvicultural approaches in the Acadian Forest: Penobscot Experimental Forest Part I
XML: View XML