Skip to Main Content
Iowa's forests 1999-2003 (Part A)Author(s): Earl C. Leatherberry; W. Keith Moser; Charles Perry; Christopher Woodall; Edward Jespen; Steve Pennington; Aron Flickinger
Source: Resour. Bull. NC-266A. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station. 84 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: North Central Research Station
Download Publication (4.0 MB)
DescriptionThe first completed annual inventory of Iowa?s forests reports more than 2.6 million acres, nearly matching what was present in 1954. Most of Iowa?s forest stands are fully or moderately stocked, suggesting that for the near term stands are capable of supplying timber for the State?s wood products industry. The increasing number of shade-tolerant species may lead to less tree species diversity in Iowa?s forest stands in the future, as shade-intolerant species are no longer able to compete in a more shady environment. Many oakdominated stands are at the successional stage where harvest is economically advantageous, yet they contain a greater proportion of area in the older age classes. Annual net growth of growing stock has more than doubled since the 1980s. The lack of significant disturbances in hardwood stands has not adequately opened stands to necessary seedling development. As fewer young oak move up in age, mast-dependent wildlife species may decline.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLeatherberry, Earl C.; Moser, W. Keith; Perry, Charles; Woodall, Christopher; Jespen, Edward; Pennington, Steve; Flickinger, Aron. 2006. Iowa's forests 1999-2003 (Part A). Resour. Bull. NC-266A. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station. 84 p.
Keywordsforest inventory, forest health, Iowa.
XML: View XML