Skip to Main Content
Small-scale, private lands forestry in the Lake StatesAuthor(s): Kathryn Fernholz
Source: In: Palik, Brian; Levy, Louise, eds. Proceedings of the Great Lakes silviculture summit. Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-254. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station: 28-32.
Publication Series: Other
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: View PDF (34.92 KB)
DescriptionOf the approximately 750 million acres of forests in the United States, approximately 46 percent is classified as "nonindustrial private forest" (NIPF). These are lands owned by private individuals, jointly or through family partnerships. According to the most recent USDA survey, there are 10,565,000 private woodland owners in the United States, collectively owning 392,731,000 acres of forest. The numbers also show that of these 10.5 million landowners, the vast majority own less than 50 acres. Specifically, 6.3 million own less than 10 acres and nearly 3 million more own between 10 and 50 acres (USDA 2003*).
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFernholz, Kathryn. 2004. Small-scale, private lands forestry in the Lake States. In: Palik, Brian; Levy, Louise, eds. Proceedings of the Great Lakes silviculture summit. Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-254. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station: 28-32.
- The state of the birds 2013 report on private lands
- Family Forestland Owners of the Lake States:Timber Harvest Activities and Implications for Sustainable Forest Management
- The private forest-land owners of the United States
XML: View XML