Skip to Main Content
IntroductionAuthor(s): Charlie Blinn
Source: In: Jakes, Pamela, ed. Forestry cooperatives: what today's resource professionals need to know. Proceedings of a satellite conference; 2003 November 18. Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-266. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station. 1-2.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: North Central Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (130.53 KB)
DescriptionNonindustrial private forest (NIPF) land represents approximately 48 percent of the forest land cover in the United States and has played an important role in meeting an increasing domestic wood demand (Smith et al. 2004). Conscientious stewardship of these forests is a perennial issue facing natural resource professionals due to the large number of owners and their diverse interests. Landowner assistance programs such as the American Tree Farm System, the Forest Stewardship Program, and woodland owner associations exist to stimulate forest management and reforestation on these ownerships through subsidies of money and materials.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBlinn, Charlie. 2006. Introduction. In: Jakes, Pamela, ed. Forestry cooperatives: what today''s resource professionals need to know. Proceedings of a satellite conference; 2003 November 18. Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-266. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station. 1-2.
- Existing and Potential Incentives for Practicing Sustainable Forestry on Non-industrial Private Forest Lands
- Family forest stewardship: do owners need a financial incentive?
- What does it take to get family forest owners to enroll in a forest stewardship-type program?
XML: View XML