Evaluation of vacuum technology to kill larvae of the Asian longhorned beetle, Anoplophora glabripennis (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae), and the emerald ash borer, Agrilus planipennis (Coleoptera: Buprestidae), in woodAuthor(s): Zhangjing Chen; Marshall S. White; Melody A. Keena; Therese M. Poland; Erin L. Clark
Source: Forest Products Journal. 58(11): 87-93.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (215.33 KB)
DescriptionThe potential for using vacuum technology to kill larvae of the Asian longhorned beetle (ALB), Anoplophora glabripennis (Motschulsky) (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae), and emerald ash borer (EAB), Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire (Coleoptera: Buprestidae), in solid-wood packing materials (SWPM) and other wood products was assessed. Current regulations require that SWPM be heat treated or fumigated prior to export. Vacuum treatment may be a cost-effective and an energy-efficient alternative that eliminates environmental concerns associated with chemicals used in fumigation. Low pressure, achieved by applying a vacuum to a system, imposes a controlled atmosphere and desiccating environment that results in death of wood-infesting insects. Larval ALB and EAB, either exposed directly to vacuum or inserted into wood at various moisture levels, were subjected to different temperatures and pressures to determine desiccation rates and lethal percentage weight loss.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
CitationChen, Zhangjing; White, Marshall S.; Keena, Melody A.; Poland, Therese M.; Clark, Erin L. 2008. Evaluation of vacuum technology to kill larvae of the Asian longhorned beetle, Anoplophora glabripennis (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae), and the emerald ash borer, Agrilus planipennis (Coleoptera: Buprestidae), in wood. Forest Products Journal. 58(11): 87-93.
- Natural enemies of emerald ash borer (Coleoptera: Buprestidae) in northeast China, with notes on two species of parasitic Coleoptera
- Review of the emerald ash borer (Coleoptera: Buprestidae), life history, mating behaviours, host plant selection, and host resistance
- Phytosanitation Methods Influence Posttreatment Colonization of Juglans nigra Logs by Pityophthorus juglandis (Coleoptera: Curculionidae: Scolytinae)
XML: View XML