Skip to Main Content
Molecular phylogeny of Laetiporus and other brown rot polypore genera in North AmericaAuthor(s): Daniel L. Lindner; Mark T. Banik
Source: Mycologia. 100(3): 417-430.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (2.42 MB)
DescriptionPhylogenetic relationships were investigated among North American species of Laetiporus, Leptoporus, Phaeolus, Pycnoporellus, and Wolfiporia using ITS, nuclear large subunit and mitochondrial small subunit rDNA sequences. Members of these genera have poroid hymenophores, simple septate hyphae and cause brown rots in a variety of substrates. Analyses indicate that Laetiporus and Wolfiporia are not monophyletic. All North American Laetiporus species formed a well supported monophyletic group (the "core Laetiporus clade" or Laetiporus s.s.) with the exception of L. persicinus, which showed little affinity for any genus for which sequence data are available.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLindner, Daniel L.; Banik, Mark T. 2008. Molecular phylogeny of Laetiporus and other brown rot polypore genera in North America. Mycologia. 100(3): 417-430.
Keywordsevolution, Fungi, Macrohyporia, Polyporaceae, Poria, root rot, sulfur shelf, Wolfiporia, extensa
- Intragenomic variation in the ITS rDNA region obscures phylogenetic relationships and inflates estimates of operational taxonomic units in genus Laetiporus
- Phylogeny of Rhus gall aphids (Hemiptera:Pemphigidae) based on combined molecular analysis of nuclear EF1α and mitochondrial COII genes
- Relationships among North American and Japanese Laetiporus isolates inferred from molecular phylogenetics and single-spore incompatibility reactions
XML: View XML