Skip to Main Content
Ohio roundwood utilization by the timber industry in 2006Author(s): Jan Wiedenbeck; Andy Sabula
Source: Resour. Bull. NRS-32. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 18 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (1.02 MB)
DescriptionTo identify changes in the structure, size, and wood raw material inputs of the primary wood processing industry in Ohio, the Ohio Division of Forestry and the U.S. Forest Service conduct a periodic survey of this sector. The current assessment of the state of the primary wood products industry in Ohio is based on information collected for the period 2003 through 2006. Average annual roundwood removals from Ohio forest lands are estimated to have been 91.2 million cubic feet during the period, virtually the same as the harvest level found by the previous survey in 1989. This volume includes 5.2 million cubic feet of saw logs and veneer logs exported to other countries, 62.5 million cubic feet of logs for domestic use, 23.5 million cubic feet of pulpwood. Of the log volume harvested from Ohio forests that was consumed domestically, 96.5 percent was processed by the State's 197 sawmills while veneer mills processed only 0.7 percent. Of the pulpwood volume, 74 percent was consumed by the pulp and paper industry and the remaining 26 percent was consumed by the engineered wood products industry, predominantly by panel (oriented strand board) manufacturers. Considering saw log transfers among states (excluding international shipments), the ratio of imports to exports for Ohio is 5.6 to 1, indicating that Ohio remains a net importer of saw logs.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWiedenbeck, Jan; Sabula, Andy. 2008. Ohio roundwood utilization by the timber industry in 2006. Resour. Bull. NRS-32. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 18 p.
Keywordsroundwood, utilization, Ohio, saw logs, sawmills, exports residue
- Ohio timber industries - a periodic assessment of timber output
- West Virginia timber industry: an assessment of timber product output and use, 2007
- Mississippi's timber industry - an assessment of timber product output and use, 1999
XML: View XML