Skip to Main Content
Nebraska's forests, 2005Author(s): Dacia M. Meneguzzo; Brett J. Butler; Susan J. Crocker; David E. Haugen; W. Keith Moser; Charles H. Perry; Barry T. Wilson; Christopher W. Woodall
Source: Resour. Bull. NRS-27. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 94 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (4.65 MB)
DescriptionResults of the first annual inventory of Nebraska's forests (2001-05) show an estimated 1.24 million acres of forest land; 1.17 million acres meet the definition of timberland. Softwood forest types account for one-third of all forest land area, with ponderosa pine being the most prevalent type. Hardwood forest types comprise 58 percent of Nebraska's forest land. Elm/ash/cottonwood is the predominant forest-type group in the State, accounting for 26 percent of all forest land area. Live-tree volume on timberland increased from 1.3 to 1.8 billion cubic feet between the 1994 and 2005 inventories. This report includes information on forest attributes, forest health, and agents of change: the introduction of nonnative invasive plants, insects and diseases, and the rapid expansion of eastern redcedar.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMeneguzzo, Dacia M.; Butler, Brett J.; Crocker, Susan J.; Haugen, David E.; Moser, W. Keith; Perry, Charles H.; Wilson, Barry T.; Woodall, Christopher W. 2008. Nebraska''s forests, 2005. Resour. Bull. NRS-27. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 94 p.
Keywordsinventory, forest statistics, forest health, forest land, timberland, riparian forest, timber products, volume, biomass
XML: View XML