Skip to Main Content
Parameters for scale-up of lethal microwave treatment to eradicate cerambycid larvae infesting solid wood packing materialsAuthor(s): Mary R. Fleming; John J. Janowiak; Joseph Kearns; Jeffrey E. Shield; Rustum Roy; Dinesh K. Agrawal; Leah S. Bauer; Kelli Hoover
Source: Forest Products Journal. 54(7/8): 80-84.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (159.93 KB)
DescriptionThe use of microwave irradiation to eradicate insects infesting wood used to manufacture packing materials such as pallets and crateswas evaluated. The focus of this preliminary studywas to determinewhich microwave parameters, including chamber-volume to sample-volumeratios,variations ofpower and time, and energydensity (total microwavepower/woodvolume), affect the lethalmicrowave dose required for laboratory-size samples of red pine infested with cerambycid larvae. Energy densitywas an acceptable parameter to predict lethal 2.45GHzmicrowave doseswhenwood moisture contentwas held constant. Studies designed to verify these results using commercial-size loads are in progress.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFleming, Mary R.; Janowiak, John J.; Kearns, Joseph; Shield, Jeffrey E.; Roy, Rustum; Agrawal, Dinesh K.; Bauer, Leah S.; Miller, Deborah L.; Hoover, Kelli. 2004. Parameters for scale-up of lethal microwave treatment to eradicate cerambycid larvae infesting solid wood packing materials. Forest Products Journal. 54(7/8): 80-84.
- Efficacy of commercial microwave equipment for eradication of pine wood nematodes and cerambycid larvae infesting red pine
- Dynamic dielectric properties of a wood liquefaction system using polyethylene glycol and glycerol
- Fundamental characteristics of microwave explosion pretreatment of wood. I, Properties of temperature development
XML: View XML