Skip to Main Content
A Survival Model for Shortleaf Pine Tress Growing in Uneven-Aged StandsAuthor(s): Thomas B. Lynch; Lawrence R. Gering; Michael M. Huebschmann; Paul A. Murphy
Source: Paper presented at the Tenth Biennial Southern Silvicultural Research Conference, Shreveport. LA, February 16-18, 1999
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (99 KB)
DescriptionA survival model for shortleaf pine (Pinus echinata Mill.) trees growing in uneven-aged stands was developed using data from permanently established plots maintained by an industrial forestry company in western Arkansas. Parameters were fitted to a logistic regression model with a Bernoulli dependent variable in which "0" represented individual tree survival and "0" represented individual tree mortality. Predictions from the model can be interpreted as probabilities of survival. The most important independent variable for prediction of survival probability was the ratio of quadratic mean stand d.b.h. to tree d.b.h. The data were used to evaluate the performance of the model by d.b.h. classes. The model was developed for use in an individual-tree growth simulator for uneven-aged shortleaf pine forests.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLynch, Thomas B.; Gering, Lawrence R.; Huebschmann, Michael M.; Murphy, Paul A. 1999. A Survival Model for Shortleaf Pine Tress Growing in Uneven-Aged Stands. Paper presented at the Tenth Biennial Southern Silvicultural Research Conference, Shreveport. LA, February 16-18, 1999
- A survival model for individual shortleaf pine trees in even-aged natural stands
- An Individual-Tree Growth and Yield Prediction System for Uneven-Aged Shortleaf Pine Stands
- Estimating the probability of survival of individual shortleaf pine (Pinus echinata mill.) trees
XML: View XML