Skip to Main Content
Landscape Scale Management in the Ouachita Mountains - Where Operational Practices Meet ResearchAuthor(s): Hunter Speed; Ronald J. Perisho; Samuel Larry; James M. Guldin
Source: Paper presented at the Tenth Biennial Southern Silvicultural Research Conference, Shreveport, LA, February 16-18, 1999.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (41 KB)
DescriptionImplementation of ecosystem management on National Forest System lands in the Southern Region requires that the best available science be applied to support forest management practices. On the Ouachita National Forest in Arkansas, personnel from the Jessieville and Winona Ranger Districts and the Southern Research Station have developed working relationships that demonstrate how to conduct research in an operational context. Research projects on the districts' lands include GIS applications as well as landscape studies of vegetation, wildlife, hydrology, aquatic ecology, and social sciences. Advantages to the research community include in-kind staff support, study designs that reflect real-world issues, permanence and protection of plot identity, and opportunities to tap into monitoring funds. The cultural differences of time constraints and expected resource outputs that exist between Federal land managers and the research community are more challenging to overcome. The key elements outlined in this case study have application to research on National Forest System lands throughout the South.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSpeed, Hunter, Jr.; Perisho, Ronald J.; Larry, Samuel; Guldin, James M. 1999. Landscape Scale Management in the Ouachita Mountains - Where Operational Practices Meet Research. Paper presented at the Tenth Biennial Southern Silvicultural Research Conference, Shreveport, LA, February 16-18, 1999.
- An overview of the Southern Nevada Agency Partnership Science and Research Synthesis [Chapter 1] (Executive Summary)
- An overview of science contributions to the management of the Tongass National Forest, Alaska.
- Putting science into action on Forest Service Lands [Chapter 5]
XML: View XML