Skip to Main Content
Urban forest health monitoring: large-scale assessments in the United StatesAuthor(s): Anne Buckelew Cumming; Daniel B. Twardus; David J. Nowak
Source: Aboriculture & Urban Forestry. 34(6): 341-346.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (78.84 KB)
DescriptionThe U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service (USFS), together with state partners, developed methods to monitor urban forest structure, function, and health at a large statewide scale. Pilot studies have been established in five states using protocols based on USFS Forest Inventory and Analysis and Forest Health Monitoring program data collection standards. Variables and data analysis are described. Advantages of a large-scale monitoring study are discussed and examples of results from Wisconsin are presented. Studies in Indiana, Wisconsin, New Jersey, Tennessee, and Colorado, U.S., have shown that urban forest health monitoring data collection and analysis is feasible and can be implemented nationally.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCumming, Anne Buckelew; Twardus, Daniel B.; Nowak, David J. 2008. Urban forest health monitoring: large-scale assessments in the United States. Aboriculture & Urban Forestry. 34(6): 341-346.
Keywordsforest health monitoring, forest inventory and analysis (FIA), urban forest effects model (UFORE), urban forestry, Wisconsin, U.S.
- National Forest Health Monitoring Program Wisconsin Street Tree Assessment 2002-2003, NA-FR-02-08
- National Forest Health Monitoring Program, Urban Forests Of Wisconsin: Pilot Monitoring Project 2002
- National Forest Health Monitoring Program Monitoring Urban Forests in Indiana: Pilot Study 2002, Part 1: Analysis of Field Methods and Data Collection
XML: View XML