Skip to Main Content
Formaldehyde emission and high-temperature stability of cured urea-formaldehyde resinsAuthor(s): Shin-ichiro Tohmura; Chung-Yun Hse; Mitsuo Higuchi
Source: J Wood Sci. 46:303-309
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (431 KB)
DescriptionA test method for measuring formaldehyde from urea-formaldehyde (UF) resins at high temperature was developed and used to assess the influence of the reaction pH on the formaldehyde emission and heat stability of the cured resins. Additionally, solid-state 13C CP/MAS nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) techniques were used to investigate the structure of cured UF resins before and after high temperature heating. Formaldehyde emissions during the cure were related to the UF resins methyl0l group content. The heat stability of cured UF resins synthesized under strongly acidic conditions was much higher than that of the other resins, which were prepared in weakly acidic and alkaline media. Solid-state 13C CP/MAS NMR spectra showed that formaldehyde emission from cured UF resins after heating is mainly ascribable to decreased methyl01 groups and dimethylene ether linkages. Significantly, it was revealed that uron structures characteristically found in the cured UF resin synthesized under strongly acidic medium indicated high heat stability.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationTohmura, Shin-ichiro; Hse, Chung-Yun; Higuchi, Mitsuo. 2000. Formaldehyde emission and high-temperature stability of cured urea-formaldehyde resins. J Wood Sci. 46:303-309
Keywordsurea-formaldehyde resin, Formaldehyde-emission, Solid-state 13C CP/MAS NMR, Heat stability
- Heat stability of cured urea-formaldehyde resins by measuring formaldehyde emission
- Analysis of curing process and thermal properties of phenol-urea-formaldehyde cocondensed resins
- Synthesis of phenol-urea-formaldehyde cocondensed resins from UF-concentrate and phenol
XML: View XML