Skip to Main Content
A Mobile Aviary to Enhance Translocation Success of Red-cockaded WoodpeckersAuthor(s): John W. Edwards; Charles A. Dachelet; Webb M. Smathers
Source: Proceedings of the 37<sup>th</sup> Annual Meeting of the Canadian Society of Environmental Biologists
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (284 KB)
DescriptionThe red-cockaded woodpecker is a federally endangered species endemic to the pine forests of the southeastern United States. The Federal Red-cockaded Woodpecker Recovery Plan emphasized restoration ofpopulations within physiographic provinces throughout their range to provide for region-wide, long-term survival. Restoration efforts included habitat enhancement and translocations. A review of red-cockaded woodpecker translocation throughout their rangefound translocations offemales to resident males to be the most successful (66%); translocations of males to suitable habitat were less successful (42%). Improved translocation techniques will allow small populations to be increased more quickly, and thereby reduce the likelihood of local extirpations. We describe a experimental mobile aviary to enhance translocation success of red-cockaded woodpeckers. If successful, this technology will be significant to the regional recovery of the red-cockaded woodpecker.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationEdwards, John W.; Dachelet, Charles A.; Smathers, Webb M. 1997. A Mobile Aviary to Enhance Translocation Success of Red-cockaded Woodpeckers. Proceedings of the 37th Annual Meeting of the Canadian Society of Environmental Biologists
- Factors that Influence Translocation Succcess on the Red-Cockaded Woodpecker
- Factors that influence translocation success in the red-cockaded woodpecker
- Success of intensive management of a critically imperiled population of red-cockaded woodpeckers in South Carolina
XML: View XML