Skip to Main Content
Emerald ash borer flight potentialAuthor(s): Robin A. Taylor; Leah S. Bauer; Deborah L. Miller; Robert A. Haack
Source: In: Mastro, Victor; Reardon, Richard, comps. Proceedings of the emerald ash borer research and technology development meeting; 2004 October 5-6; Romulus, MI. FHTET 2004-15. Morgantown, WV: U.S. Forest Service, Forest Health Technology Enterprise Team: 15-16.
Publication Series: Other
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (16 KB)
DescriptionThe emerald ash borer (EAB), Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire (Coleoptera: Buprestidae), is an invasive pest of ash trees (Fraxinus spp.) that is rapidly spreading from the probable introduction site in Detroit, Michigan. The rapid spread to areas outside Michigan is undoubtedly due to phoretic transport on nursery stock, logs, and firewood. However, not all the range expansion can be attributed to human agency. Despite attempts to contain the core infestation to the counties surrounding Detroit and Essex County, Ontario, EAB range has continued to expand. This is due in part to the natural dispersal of EAB. Failure to understand the natural dispersal will impede attempts contain and control EAB; knowledge of flight behavior and physiology is needed to estimate dispersal capabilities in order to develop effective containment strategies.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationTaylor, Robin A.; Bauer, Leah S.; Miller, Deborah L.; Haack, Robert A. 2005. Emerald ash borer flight potential. In: Mastro, Victor; Reardon, Richard, comps. Proceedings of the emerald ash borer research and technology development meeting; 2004 October 5-6; Romulus, MI. FHTET 2004-15. Morgantown, WV: U.S. Forest Service, Forest Health Technology Enterprise Team: 15-16.
- Evaluation of firewood bagging and vacuum treatment for regulatory control of emerald ash borer
- An assessment of the relationship between emerald ash borer presence and landscape pattern
- Economic assessment of potential emerald ash borer damage in urban areas in the United States
XML: View XML