Skip to Main Content
Missouri's forests 1999-2003 (Part A)Author(s): W. Keith Moser; Mark H. Hansen; Thomas B. Treiman; Earl C. Leatherberry; Ed Jepsen; Cassandra L. Olson; Charles H. Perry; Ronald J. Piva; Christopher W. Woodall; Gary J. Brand
Source: Resour. Bull. NRS-10. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 79 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (5.01 MB)
DescriptionThe first completed annual inventory of Missouri's forests reports more than 14.6 million acres of forest land. Softwood forests make up 4 percent of the total forest land area; oak/hickory forest types make up about three-fourths of the total hardwood forest land area. Missouri's forests have continued to increase in volume, with all-live tree volume on forest land in Missouri an estimated 18 billion cubic feet compared to 9 billion cubic feet in 1972. All-live tree biomass on forest land in Missouri amounted to 573 million dry tons in 1999-2003. Almost 9 percent was in small trees, 74 percent was in growing-stock trees, and 17 percent was in non-growing-stock trees. Softwood growth was 44.1 million cubic feet per year and hardwood growth was 585.3 million cubic feet per year. Oak species constitute roughly three-fourths of the volume and three-fourths of the harvest. Total net all-live volume of oaks on timberland increased by 24 percent between 1989 and 2003. More than 82 percent of Missouri?s forest land is held by private landowners.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMoser, W. Keith; Hansen, Mark H.; Treiman, Thomas B.; Leatherberry, Earl C.; Jepsen, Ed; Olson, Cassandra L.; Perry, Charles H.; Piva, Ronald J.; Woodall, Christopher W.; Brand, Gary J. 2007. Missouri''s forests 1999-2003 (Part A). Resour. Bull. NRS-10. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 79 p.
Keywordsforest area, forest health, completed annual inventory, Missouri
XML: View XML