Skip to Main Content
Tornado chasing: an introduction to risk tourism opportunitiesAuthor(s): Heather Cantillon; Robert S. Bristow
Source: In: Kyle, Gerard, comp., ed. 2001. Proceedings of the 2000 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-276. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 234-239
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (333.35 KB)
DescriptionTours devoted to tornado storm chasing have become popular in recent years, especially with the emergence of many profit and non-profit storm chasing organizations. While most literature in risk recreation has been directed toward rock climbing or other high-risk outdoor recreation activities, tours devoted to storm chasing are quite unlike these traditional activities. The purpose of this paper is to provide a review of these organizations from information collected in a mailed survey. Areas to be discussed are specific tour details for each company, basic demographics of tour attendees, and other areas of tour requirements.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCantillon, Heather; Bristow, Robert S. 2001. Tornado chasing: an introduction to risk tourism opportunities. In: Kyle, Gerard, comp., ed. 2001. Proceedings of the 2000 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-276. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 234-239
KeywordsRisk tourism, tornado chasing
- An application of importance-performance analysis to recreational storm chasing
- Motivations and sensation seeking characteristics of recreational storm chasers
- Planning for youth days: planting the SEED to get youth outdoors in nature
XML: View XML