Skip to Main Content
Repair & Reinforcing Pallet Stringers With Metal PlatesAuthor(s): John W. Clarke; Thomas E. McLain; Marshall S. White; Philip A. Araman
Source: Pallet Enterprise. Nov/Dec: 20, 22, 42.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (119 KB)
DescriptionNotches significantly reduce the bending strength and life expectancy of stringer-class pallets with partial 4-way entry. Common failures include cracking between the notches (BN), bending failures in the region above the notch (AN) and splitting of end feet. In recent years, several suppliers and manufacturers of metal connector plates (MCPs) have developed equipment and methods to repair pallets with their products. There is considerable concern about the effectiveness of MCP repair and about minimum guidelines for installation and performance requirements for repaired pallets. As an initial response, the National Wooden Pallet and Container Association (NWPCA) issued interim guidelines on the use of MCPs in 1991. This article discusses research done by Virginia Tech and the Forest Service on the use of MCPs for repair and reinforcement of stringer-class pallets. This study looked at repair of BN, AN, and end foot failures in damaged stringers of different species, as well as the potential for using MCPs to reinforce new stringers and enhance their bending and impact resistance.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationClarke, John W.; McLain, Thomas E.; White, Marshall S.; Araman, Philip A. 1993. Repair & Reinforcing Pallet Stringers With Metal Plates. Pallet Enterprise. Nov/Dec: 20, 22, 42.
- Evaluation of Metal Connector Plates for Repair of Wood Pallet Stringers
- Reinforcement of Wood Pallets with Metal Connector Plates
- Exciting News From Va. Tech - Repaired Pallets May Be Stronger Than the Original
XML: View XML