Skip to Main Content
A spatial analysis of wilderness campsites in Lyell Canyon, Yosemite National ParkAuthor(s): Steven R. Lawson; Peter Newman
Source: In: Kyle, Gerard, comp., ed. 2001. Proceedings of the 2000 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-276. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 245-248
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (254.6 KB)
DescriptionDuring the summer of 1999, Yosemite National Park staff collected GPS data to inventory the number and distribution of wilderness campsites in Lyell Canyon, Yosemite National Park. The data were collected after one month of campsite restoration work had been conducted by a student work crew. This study integrated the GPS data with digital raster graphics data for Lyell Canyon to create a wilderness campsite monitoring system tool based on a Geographic Information System (GIS). The monitoring tool developed in this study gives resource managers the ability to identify the number and spatial distribution of campsites in Lyell Canyon that are within and out of compliance with park guidelines for wilderness campsites. The monitoring tool can also be used to record the history of specific campsites from season to season, track changes in visitor use patterns, and identify potential problem areas. Further, this monitoring tool provides managers with insight into the successes and potential failures of management efforts.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLawson, Steven R.; Newman, Peter. 2001. A spatial analysis of wilderness campsites in Lyell Canyon, Yosemite National Park. In: Kyle, Gerard, comp., ed. 2001. Proceedings of the 2000 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-276. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 245-248
- Twenty-eight years of wilderness campsite monitoring in Yosemite National Park
- Changing conditions on wilderness campsites: Seven case studies of trends over 13 to 32 years
- Using the minimum requirement concept to manage research in the Yosemite Wilderness
XML: View XML