Combining satellite imagery with forest inventory data to assess damage severity following a major blowdown event in northern Minnesota, USAAuthor(s): Mark D. Nelson; Sean P. Healey; W. Keith Moser; Mark H. Hansen
Source: International Journal of Remote Sensing. 30(19): 5089-5108.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (674.61 KB)
DescriptionEffects of a catastrophic blowdown event in northern Minnesota, USA were assessed using field inventory data, aerial sketch maps and satellite image data processed through the North American Forest Dynamics programme. Estimates were produced for forest area and net volume per unit area of live trees pre- and post-disturbance, and for changes in volume per unit area and total volume resulting from disturbance. Satellite image-based estimates of blowdown area were similar to estimates derived from inventory plots and aerial sketch maps. Overall accuracy of the image-based damage classification was over 90%. Compared to field inventory estimates, image-based estimates of post-blowdown mean volume per unit area were similar, but estimates of total volume loss were substantially larger, although inaccessibility of the most severely damaged inventory plots may have depressed the inventory-based estimate. This represents the first application of state model differencing to storm damage assessment. The image-based procedure can be applied to historical archives of satellite imagery and does not require pre-disturbance field inventory data.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationNelson, Mark D.; Healey, Sean P.; Moser, W. Keith; Hansen, Mark H. 2009. Combining satellite imagery with forest inventory data to assess damage severity following a major blowdown event in northern Minnesota, USA. International Journal of Remote Sensing. 30(19): 5089-5108.
- Integrating remote sensing and forest inventory data for assessing forest blowdown in the boundary waters canoe area wilderness
- Comparing evaluations of forest health based on aerial surveys and field inventories: Oak forests in the Northern United States
- Estimating number and size of forest patches from FIA plot data
XML: View XML