Skip to Main Content
Carbon cycle observations: gaps threaten climate mitigation policiesAuthor(s): Richard Birdsey; Nick Bates; MIke Behrenfeld; Kenneth Davis; Scott C. Doney; Richard Feely; Dennis Hansell; Linda Heath; et al.
Source: Eos. 90(34): 292-293.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (71.65 KB)
DescriptionSuccessful management of carbon dioxide (CO2) requires robust and sustained carbon cycle observations. Yet key elements of a national observation network are lacking or at risk. A U.S. National Research Council review of the U.S. Climate Change Science Program earlier this year highlighted the critical need for a U.S. climate observing system to meet requirements of mitigation policies for improved carbon cycle observations. This Forum highlights the most significant gaps and threats to carbon cycle observations--including observations from satellites; in situ observations of land, ocean, and aquatic systems; and direct atmospheric measurements--and suggests ways to improve the U.S. national effort.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBirdsey, Richard; Bates, Nick; Behrenfeld, MIke; Davis, Kenneth; Doney, Scott C.; Feely, Richard; Hansell, Dennis; Heath, Linda; et al., null. 2009. Carbon cycle observations: gaps threaten climate mitigation policies. Eos. 90(34): 292-293. DUPLICATE.
- Investigators share improved understanding of the North American carbon cycle
- The climate change performance scorecard and carbon estimates for national forest
- Carbon stocks on forestland of the United States, with emphasis on USDA Forest Service ownership
XML: View XML