Skip to Main Content
Estimating dead wood during national forest inventories: a review of inventory methodologies and suggestions for harmonizationAuthor(s): Christopher W. Woodall; Jacques Rondeux; Pieter J. Verkerk; Göran Ståhl
Source: Environmental Management. 44: 624?631.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (268.5 KB)
DescriptionEfforts to assess forest ecosystem carbon stocks, biodiversity, and fire hazards have spurred the need for comprehensive assessments of forest ecosystem dead wood (DW) components around the world. Currently, information regarding the prevalence, status, and methods of DW inventories occurring in the world's forested landscapes is scattered. The goal of this study is to describe the status, DW components measured, sample methods employed, and DW component thresholds used by national forest inventories that currently inventory DW around the world. Study results indicate that most countries do not inventory forest DW. Globally, we estimate that about 13% of countries inventory DW using a diversity of sample methods and DW component definitions.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWoodall, Christopher W.; Rondeux, Jacques; Verkerk, Pieter J.; Ståhl, Göran 2009. Estimating dead wood during national forest inventories: a review of inventory methodologies and suggestions for harmonization. Environmental Management. 44: 624?631.
Keywordsinventory, standing dead wood, downed dead wood, harmonization, forest
- Estimating dead wood during national forest inventories: a review of inventory methodologies and suggestions for harmonization
- National inventories of down and dead woody material forest carbon stocks in the United States: Challenges and opportunities
- Dead wood inventory and assessment in South Korea
XML: View XML