Skip to Main Content
Ohio forests: 2006Author(s): Richard H. Widmann; Dan Balser; Charles Barnett; Brett J. Butler; Douglas M. Griffith; Tonya W. Lister; W. Keith Moser; Charles H. Perry; Rachel Riemann; Christopher W. Woodall
Source: Resour. Bull. NRS-36. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 119 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (5.21 MB)
DescriptionThis report summarizes annual forest inventories conducted in Ohio from 2001 to 2006 by the Northern Research Station's Forest Inventory and Analysis unit. Ohio's forest land covers 7.9 million acres or 30 percent of the State's land area, changing little in forest land area since 1991. Of this land, 5.8 million acres (73 percent) are held by family forest owners. The current growing-stock inventory is 12.3 billion cubic feet--2 percent more than in 1991--and averages 1,603 cubic feet per acre. Yellow-poplar continues to lead in volume followed by red and sugar maples. Since 1991, the saw log portion of growing-stock volume has increased by 35 percent to 41 billion board feet. In the latest inventory, net growth exceeded removals for all major species except elm.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWidmann, Richard H.; Balser, Dan; Barnett, Charles; Butler, Brett J.; Griffith, Douglas M.; Lister, Tonya W.; Moser, W. Keith; Perry, Charles H.; Riemann, Rachel; Woodall, Christopher W. 2009. Ohio forests: 2006. Resour. Bull. NRS-36. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 119 p.
Keywordsforest area, forest composition, timber volume, timber growth, timber removals, mortality, forest health, biomass, completed annual inventory
XML: View XML