Skip to Main Content
Characterization of microsatellite markers in eastern white pineAuthor(s): C. S. Echt; P. May-Marquardt; M. Hseih; R. Zahorchak
Source: Genome 39:1102-1108
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (869.92 KB)
DescriptionAn enrichment cloning method was evaluated for the isolation of microsatellite loci from eastern white pine and the resulting markers were examined for polymorphisms. A 200-fold enrichment was achieved for highly abundant (AC)n repeats, but for much less abundant (ACAG)n repeats an enrichment of only 20-fold was obtained. Using a single set of PCR conditions, 19 microsatellite loci were identified from 77 primer pairs evaluated. Genotyping of 16 (AC)n loci in 16 unrelated white pines from the north-central United States revealed an average of 5.4 alleles per locus and an average observed heterozygosity of 0.515. Five loci were scored among megagametophytes from a single pine to obtain a haploid genotype of the segregating female meiotic products. All loci segregated according to Mendelian expectations and linkage was established for two of the loci. It was concluded that (AC)n loci are highly variable in this species and that SSR (simple sequence repeat) markers can be efficiently developed for genome mapping and population genetics studies.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationEcht, C. S.; May-Marquardt, P.; Hseih, M.; Zahorchak, R. 1996. Characterization of microsatellite markers in eastern white pine. Genome 39:1102-1108
KeywordsPinus strobus, forest genetics, simple sequence repeat, SSR, allelic diversity
- Characterization of microsatellite markers in eastern white pine
- Spatial and population genetic structure of microsatellites in white pine
- Current and future molecular approaches to investigate the white pine blister rust pathosystem
XML: View XML