Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Who starts forest fires in Maine - and how?Author(s): Wayne G. Banks; Fred E. Holt
Source: Research Note NE-51. Upper Darby, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 4p.
Publication Series: Research Note (RN)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (145.23 KB)
DescriptionIn 1964 the Maine Forest Service, in cooperation with the Northeastern Forest Experiment Station, conducted intensive investigations of a systematically selected sample of the fires that occurred in the State that year. The immediate purpose was to determine precisely how the fires started and who or what started them, and to assemble relevant information about the people and circumstances involved. The basic objective of any such work is, of course, to reduce forest fires. The information gleaned from these investigations was expected to provide helpful guides for making the State's forest-fire-prevention program more effective.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBanks, Wayne G.; Holt, Fred E. 1966. Who starts forest fires in Maine - and how?. Research Note NE-51. Upper Darby, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 4p.
- "Children-with-matches" fires in the Angeles National Forest area
- Wildland arson: a research assessment
- Prescribed burning in the North Central States.
XML: View XML