Skip to Main Content
The U.S. forest sector in 2030: Markets and competitorsAuthor(s): James A. Turner; Joseph Buongiorno; Shushuai Zhu; Jeffrey P. Prestemon
Source: Forest Products Journal 55(5):27-36
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (844 KB)
DescriptionThe Global Forest Products Model was used to project international forest sector developments, conditional on the latest RPA Timber Assessment of future domestic changes in the United States. While the United States, Japan, and Europe were predicted to remain major importers of forest products out to 2030, the rapid economic growth of China would make it the world's largest market for raw wood, and intermediate and final forest products. Mexico and the Republic of Korea would also become important markets for solid wood and fiber products. The U.S. share of global exports of industrial roundwood and other paper and paperboard were predicted to increase out to 2030. In competition with the United States, it was predicted that Finland, Austria, Latvia, Chile, and New Zealand would increase their share of global sawnwood exports, and Austria and the Republic of Korea would emerge as exporters of printing and writing paper.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationTurner, James A.; Buongiorno, Joseph; Zhu, Shushuai; Prestemon, Jeffrey P. 2005. The U.S. forest sector in 2030: Markets and competitors. Forest Products Journal 55(5):27-36
- Global context for the United States Forest Sector in 2030
- Long-term economic impact of countervailing duties on coated free sheet paper imported by the United States from China, the Republic of Korea, and Indonesia
- Effect of non-tariff barriers on secondary processed wood product trade: New Zealand exports to the United States, China and Japan
XML: View XML