Skip to Main Content
Nondestructive estimation of tracheid length from sections of radial wood strips by near infrared spectroscopyAuthor(s): Laurence R. Schimleck; P. David Jones; Gary F. Peter; F. Daniels; Alexander Clarklll
Source: Holzforschung 58: 375-381
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (325 KB)
DescriptionThe use of calibrated near infrared (NIR) spectroscopy for predicting tracheid length of Pinus taeda L. (loblolly pine) wood samples is described. Ten-mm sections of 14 P. taeda radial strips were selected and NIR spectra obtained from the radial longitudinal face of each section. The fibers in these sections were characterized in terms of arithmetic and length-weighted mean tracheid length using a fiber quality analyzer, and calibrations with NIR spectra were developed for both measures of tracheid length. Relationships were good, with coefficients of determination (R2) of 0.88 for arithmetic tracheid length and 0.96 for length-weighted tracheid length. The accuracy of NIR predicted length-weighted tracheid length was sufficient for ranking purposes.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSchimleck, Laurence R.; Jones, P. David; Peter, Gary F.; Daniels, F.; Clarklll, Alexander. 2004. Nondestructive estimation of tracheid length from sections of radial wood strips by near infrared spectroscopy. Holzforschung 58: 375-381
- Regional calibration models for predicting loblolly pine tracheid properties using near-infrared spectroscopy
- Near infrared spectroscopy for the nondestructive estimation of clear wood properties of Pinus taeda L. from the southern United States
- Nondestructive estimation of wood chemical composition of sections of radial wood strips by diffuse reflectance near infrared spectroscopy
XML: View XML