Skip to Main Content
The effect of exchange rates on southern pine exportsAuthor(s): H.W. Wisdom; James E. Granskog
Source: Forest Products Journal 53(10): 19-23
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (518 KB)
DescriptionChanges in exchange rates affect southern pine exports by changing the cost of southern wood in foreign markets. A strong dollar discourages exports; a weak dollar encourages exports. A simple economic export market model is developed to determine whether changes in the exchange rates in foreign markets of southern pine products have, in fact, let to significant chnages in southern pine exports. The results confirm that exchange rates are important determinants of southern pine exports. Per-capita income in foreign markets and domestic southern pine relative prices are also important determinants of exports. the estimated model can be used to predict the response of southern pine exports to exchange rate movements. The results also indicate that is is not necessary to construct a special southern pine exchange rate index based on southern pine export markest. The Federal Reserve Board broad index serves quite well as a predictor of the effect of exchange rate movemnents on southern pine exports.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWisdom, H.W.; Granskog, James E. 2003. The effect of exchange rates on southern pine exports. Forest Products Journal 53(10): 19-23
- Southern pine exports revive!
- Species composition and succession in yellow pine stands following southern pine beetle outbreaks in Tennessee-preliminary results
- Bending strength of Chilean radiata pine poles
XML: View XML