Skip to Main Content
Rough Mill Improvement Guide for Managers and SupervisorsAuthor(s): Philip H. Mitchell; Jan Wiedenbeck; Bobby Ammerman; Bobby Ammerman
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-329. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 60 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
Download Publication (2.77 MB)
DescriptionWood products manufacturers require an efficient recovery of product from lumber to remain profitable. A company's ability to obtain the best yield in lumber cut-up operations (i.e., the rough mill) varies according to the raw material, product, processing equipment, processing environment, and knowledge and skill of the rough mill's employees. This book discusses several key principles that can help manufacturers understand and solve yield and production problems. This publication is inspired by the 1981 publication "Rough Mill Operator's Guide" written by Edward K. Pepke and Michael J. Kroon. Computer-based technologies and new rough mill layouts and equipment are prevalent in today's rough mills, therefore, they are given considerable emphasis in this contemporary version of the Pepke-Kroon guide.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMitchell, Philip H.; Wiedenbeck, Jan; Ammerman, Bobby. 2005. Rough Mill Improvement Guide for Managers and Supervisors. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-329. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 60 p.
Keywordsrough mill, yield, efficiency, training, hardwood, rip, crosscut
- Improving lumber yield using a dual system
- STUB - a manufacturing system for producing rough dimension cuttings from low-grade lumber
- Study of overlength on red oak lumber drying quality and rough mill yield
XML: View XML