Skip to Main Content
The collaboration between the University of Mississippi and Belize enables opportunities for science educationAuthor(s): Richard A. Belisle
Source: In: Proceedings of a Conference on Sustainability of Wetlands and Water Resources, May 23-25, Oxford, Mississippi, eds. Holland, Marjorie M., Warren, Melvin L., Stanturf, John A., p. 14-16
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (17 KB)
DescriptionThe University of Mississippi and the American Universities International Program (AUIP) enjoy vast educational opportunities in Belize. Bounded by Mexico on the north, Guatemala on the west and south, and the Caribbean Sea on the east, Belize’s 22,960 km2 of topography range from sea level to 3,688 ft. This variation in altitude and the tropical climate support a great diversity of habitats. The relative underdevelopment and pristine ecosystems of rain forest, pine savannahs, and mangrove swamps are complemented by the longest barrier reef in the Western Hemisphere. Since 1995, the primary purpose of the AUIP study program in Belize has been to provide experiential learning courses for students, professors, and professionals from the United States and Belize. The main emphasis has been on marine biology, ecology, natural resource management, anthropology, ecotourism, and land use.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBelisle, Richard A. 2000. The collaboration between the University of Mississippi and Belize enables opportunities for science education. In: Proceedings of a Conference on Sustainability of Wetlands and Water Resources, May 23-25, Oxford, Mississippi, eds. Holland, Marjorie M., Warren, Melvin L., Stanturf, John A., p. 14-16
- Southern Pine Beetle Outbreak in Belize
- Designing a mangrove research and demonstration forest in the Rufiji Delta, Tanzania
- Issues and challenges of mangrove conservation in the Anthropocene - Desafios de la conservacion del mangle en el Antropoceno
XML: View XML