Skip to Main Content
Taxonomy of the Rhizopogon vinicolor species complex based on analysis of ITS sequences and microsatellite loci.Author(s): Annette M. Kretzer; Daniel L. Luoma; Randy Molina; Joseph W. Spatafora
Source: Mycologia. 95(3): 480-487
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: View PDF (633 KB)
DescriptionWe are re-addressing species concepts in the Rhizopogon vinicolor species complex (Boletales, Basidiomycota) using sequence data from the interna transcribed spacer (ITS) region of the nuclear ribosomal repeat, as well as genoLypic data from five microsatellite loci. The R. vinicolor species complex by our definition includes, but is not limited to, collections referred to as R vinicolor Smith, R. diabolicus Smith, R. ochraceisporus Smith, R. parvulus Smith or R vesiculosus Smith. Holo- and/or paratype material for the named species is included. Analyses of both ITS sequences and microsatellite loci separate collections of the/7_ vinicolor species complex into two distinct clades or clusters, suggestive of two biological species that subsequently are referred to as R vinicolor sensu Kretzer et al and R. vesiculosus sensu Kretzer et al. Choice of the latter names, as well as morphological characters, are discussed.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKretzer, Annette M.; Luoma, Daniel L.; Molina, Randy; Spatafora, Joseph W. 2003. Taxonomy of the Rhizopogon vinicolor species complex based on analysis of ITS sequences and microsatellite loci. Mycologia. 95(3): 480-487
KeywordsFungal species concepts, internal transcribed spacers, microsatellite markers, Rhizopogon
- Microsatellite markers reveal the below ground distribution of genets in two species of Rhizopogon forming tuberculate ectomycorrhizas on Douglas-fir.
- Patterns of vegetative growth and gene flow in Rhizopogon vinicolor and R. vesiculosus (Boletales, Basidiomycota).
- Phytophthora taxa associated with cultivated Agothosmo, with emphasis on the P. citricola complex and P. capensis sp. nov.
XML: View XML