Microsatellite markers reveal the below ground distribution of genets in two species of Rhizopogon forming tuberculate ectomycorrhizas on Douglas-fir.Author(s): Annette M. Kretzer; Susie Dunham; Randy Molina; Joseph W. Spatafora
Source: New Phytologist. 161: 313-320
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: View PDF (642 KB)
DescriptionWe have developed microsatellite markers for two sister species of Rhizopogon, R. vesiculosus and R. vinicolor (Boletales, Basidiomycota), and used selected markers to investigate genet size and distribution from ectomycorrhizal samples. Both species form ectomycorrhizas with tuberculate morphology on Douglas-fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii).
Tuberculate ectomycorrhizas were sampled and mapped in two 10 x 10 m core plots located at Mary's Peak in the Oregon Coast Range and at Mill Creek in the Oregon Cascade Mountains, USA; additional samples were obtained from a larger area surrounding the Mary's Peak core plot.
Gene diversities at the newly described microsatellite loci ranged from 0.00 to 0.68 in R. vesiculosus, and from 0.00 to 0.43 in R. vinicolor. Both taxa appeared to be in Hardy-Weinberg and linkage equilibrium. The largest distance observed between tuberculate ectomycorrhizas of the same genet was 13.4 m for R. vesiculosus, but only 2 m for R. vinicolor.
This is to our knowledge the first study to differentiate fungal genets from ectomycorrhizas with great confidence using multiple codominant markers.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKretzer, Annette M.; Dunham, Susie; Molina, Randy; Spatafora, Joseph W. 2003. Microsatellite markers reveal the below ground distribution of genets in two species of Rhizopogon forming tuberculate ectomycorrhizas on Douglas-fir. New Phytologist. 161: 313-320
KeywordsRhizopogon, tuberculate, ectomycorrhizas, fungal genets, microsatellite markers
- Patterns of vegetative growth and gene flow in Rhizopogon vinicolor and R. vesiculosus (Boletales, Basidiomycota).
- Taxonomy of the Rhizopogon vinicolor species complex based on analysis of ITS sequences and microsatellite loci.
- Estimation of population structure in coastal Douglas-fir [Pseudotsuga menziesii (Mirb.) Franco var. menziesii] using allozyme and microsatellite markers
XML: View XML