Skip to Main Content
Low-grade hardwood lumber production, markets, and issuesAuthor(s): Dan Cumbo; Robert Smith; Philip A. Araman
Source: Forest Products Journal 53(9): 17-24
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (749 KB)
DescriptionDue to recent downturn in the economy and changes in traditional hardwood markets. U.S. hardwood manufacturers are facing significant difficulties. In particular, markets for low-grade lumber have been diminishing, while increased levels of the material are being produced at hardwood sawmills in the United States. A nationwide survey of hardwood lumber manufacturers was conducted to define the term "low-grade", idenify current markets for low-grade hardwood lumber, identify methods currently used and those being considered to develop markets for this material, and determine important factors in the decision to enter a new market for low-grade lumber. The study found that the definition of low-grade is not consistent among U.S. hardwood sawmills and most sawmills sell the majority of their low-grade lumber to a single market. In addition, market profitability and market stability are important factors in considering a new market for low-grade lumber. This information is important in benchmarking industry characteristics regarding low-grade lumber and understanding the issues and needs of hardwood manufacturers.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCumbo, Dan; Smith, Robert; Araman, Philip A. 2003. Low-grade hardwood lumber production, markets, and issues. Forest Products Journal 53(9): 17-24
- Marketing low-grade hardwoods for furniture stock - a new approach
- Use of advanced hardwood sawmill equipment, and desired features for next-generation systems
- Manufacturers and distributors in the U.S. hardwood lumber supply chain: Perceptions of industry trends
XML: View XML