Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Stand dynamics of mixed red alder-conifer forests of southeast Alaska.Author(s): Robert L. Deal; Paul E. Hennon; Ewa H. Orlikowska; David V. D'Amore
Source: Canadian Journal of Forest Research. 34: 969-980
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: View PDF (1.24 MB)
DescriptionStand structure and dynamics were evaluated in mixed red alder (Alnus rubra Bong.) - conifer forests of southeast Alaska. We assessed stand development, tree density, total basal area, diameter distribution of live and dead trees, height distribution of live trees, and mean diameter of all and largest conifers in 40-year-old red alder - conifer stands that developed following logging. Forty-five plots were established in nine stands sampled across a compositional range of 0%-86% alder. Alder height growth was initially rapid then slowed considerably, whereas conifer height growth was initially slow then rapidly increased with conifers now being 4-9 m taller than associated alders. Most alder diameters were 20-30 cm and conifer diameters were more variable with numerous small (3-10 cm) and a few large (>25 cm) trees. Total stand basal area significantly decreased (p = 0.013) with increasing proportions of alder, but density of live and dead trees was not closely associated with alder composition. More than 60% of all dead trees died standing regardless of size or species. Overall, these mixed red alder - conifer stands provided more heterogeneous structures than pure conifer stands, with more even diameter distributions, multiple canopy layers, and similar numbers of large diameter conifers.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDeal, Robert L.; Hennon, Paul E.; Orlikowska, Ewa H.; D''Amore, David V. 2004. Stand dynamics of mixed red alder-conifer forests of southeast Alaska. Canadian Journal of Forest Research. 34: 969-980
- Red alder stand development and dynamics.
- Comparison of terrestrial invertebrate biomass and richness in young mixed red alder-conifer, young conifer, and old conifer stands of southeast Alaska.
- Comparative effects of urea fertilizer and red alder in a site III, coast Douglas-fir plantation in the Washington Cascade Range.
XML: View XML