Skip to Main Content
The Ned IIS project - forest ecosystem managementAuthor(s): W. Potter; D. Nute; J. Wang; F. Maier; Michael Twery; H. Michael Rauscher; P. Knopp; S. Thomasma; M. Dass; H. Uchiyama
Source: In: Proceedings IFIP 17<sup>th</sup> World Computer Congress TC12 Stream on Intelligent Information processing, August 25-30, Montrèal, Quèbec, Canada
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (370 KB)
DescriptionFor many years we have held to the notion that an Intelligent Information System (IIS) is composed of a unified knowledge base, database, and model base. The main idea behind this notion is the transparent processing of user queries. The system is responsible for "deciding" which information sources to access in order to fulfil a query regardless of whether this involves a data retrieval, an inference, a computational method, a problem solving module, or some combination of these. The NED IIS project is an effort to develop a robust, intelligent, goal-driven forest ecosystem management system to help forest managers plan and achieve wildlife, ecological, water, landscape, and timber goals. NED, using a blackboard architecture dominated by semi autonomous intelligent agents, integrates a core database, domain knowledge, meta-knowledge, and a GUI with external (possibly distributed) legacy and special purpose (heterogeneous) information sources. The current version of NED is NED-2. NED-2 is still under construction, however a prototype incorporating the major components of the architecture has been completed and demonstrated.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPotter, W.; Nute, D.; Wang, J.; Maier, F.; Twery, Michael; Rauscher, H. Michael; Knopp, P.; Thomasma, S.; Dass, M.; Uchiyama, H. 2002. The Ned IIS project - forest ecosystem management. In: Proceedings IFIP 17th World Computer Congress TC12 Stream on Intelligent Information processing, August 25-30, Montrèal, Quèbec, Canada
KeywordsIntelligent information systems, blackboard architecture, agents
- An Intelligent Information System for forest management: NED/FVS integration
- Intelligent Model Management in a Forest Ecosystem Management Decision Support System
- NED-IIS: An Intelligent Information System for Forest Ecosystem Management
XML: View XML