Skip to Main Content
Taking stock of agroforestry adoption studiesAuthor(s): Subhrendu K. Pattanayak; D. Evan Mercer; Erin Sills; Jui-Chen Yang
Source: Agroforestry Systems 57: 173-186
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (965 KB)
DescriptionIn light of the large number of empirical studies of agroforestry adoption published during the last decade, we believe it is time to take stock and identify general determinants of agroforestry adoption. In reviewing 120 articles on adoption of agricultural and forestry technology by small holders, we find five categories of factors that explain technology adoption within an economic framework: preferences. resource endowments, market incentives, biophysical factors, and risk and uncertainty.By selecting only empirical analyses that focus on agroforestry and related investments, we narrow our list down to 32 studies primarily from tropical areas. We apply vote-counting based meta-analysis to these studies and evaluate the inclusion and significance of the five adoption factors. Our analysis shows that preferences and resource endowments are the factors most often included in studies. Ijowever, adoption behavior is most likely to be significantly influenced by risk, biophysical, and resource factors. In our conclusion, we discuss specific recommendations for the next generation of adoption studies and meta-analyses that include considering a fuller menu of variables. reporting key statistics and marginal probabilities, and conducting weighted meta-regressions.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPattanayak, Subhrendu K.; Mercer, D. Evan; Sills, Erin; Yang, Jui-Chen. 2003. Taking stock of agroforestry adoption studies. Agroforestry Systems 57: 173-186
KeywordsContour hedgrerows, meta-analysis, soil and water conservation, tree planting, vote-counting
- Agroforestry adoption in the Calakmul biosphere reserve, Campeche, Mexico
- Analyzing ex-ante agroforestry adoption decisions with attribute based choice experiments
- Socioeconomic research in agroforestry: progress, prospects, priorities
XML: View XML