Skip to Main Content
Effects of exposure duration on transfer of nonrepellent termiticides among workers of coptotermes formosanus shiraki (Isotera: Rhinotermitidae)Author(s): Thomas G. Shelton; J. Kenneth Grace
Source: J. Econ. Entomol. 96(2) 456-460
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (384 KB)
DescriptionThe potential for transfer ofnonrepellent termiticide toxicants between workers of the formosan subterranean termitem coptotermes formosanus Shiraki, was examined using two commercially available pesticide formulations and a simple donor-recipient model modified from current methods in the literature. Pesticides used were imidacloprid, formulated as premise 75 WP, and fipronil, formulated as Termidor SC, in concentrations of 1, 10, and 100 ppm (weight of active ingredient/weight of sand) in sand. The results of the firstf experiment showed a significant increase in recipient mortality over control mortality when donor workers were treated with 100 ppm imidacloprid or 100 ppm fipronil. Although al lthree colonies studied were affected, one colony (colony 3) was affected to a significantly greater extent than the other colonies. This effect was not correlated with termite body size (dry mass). In a second study, recipient mortality was evaluated after exposure of donors to 1 ppm insecticide for 3, 6, 12, or 24 h. Recipient mortality indicated that these exposures did not consistently lead to lethal transfer of the insecticides.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationShelton, Thomas G.; Grace, J. Kenneth. 2003. Effects of exposure duration on transfer of nonrepellent termiticides among workers of coptotermes formosanus shiraki (Isotera: Rhinotermitidae). J. Econ. Entomol. 96(2) 456-460
KeywordsCoptotermes formosanus, nonrepellent termiticides, exposure duration.
- Activity of Reticulitermes flavipes (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae) Exposed to Nestmates Treated with Slow-Acting Nonrepellent Termiticides
- Transfer of chlorfenapyr among workers of Reticulitermes flavipes (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae) in the laboratory
- Assessment of donor/recipient ratios in permethrin transfer studies with Reticulitermes virginicus Banks
XML: View XML