Skip to Main Content
Monthly fluctuation of termite caste proportions (Isoptera) within fire ant mounds (hymenoptera: formicidae)Author(s): Thomas G. Shelton; J.T. Vogt; Marla J. Tanley; Arthur G. Appel
Source: Sociobiology Vol. 41(3): 571-581
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (493 KB)
DescriptionMonthly abundance and caste proportions of subterranean termites (Reticulitennes spp.) inhabiting red imported fire ant (Solenopsis invicta Buren) mounds were recorded during 1999 and 2000 from a relatively undisturbed forest edge in Tuskegee, Alabama. Temperature data were also recorded at these mounds; mean air, soil, and mound temperatures followed a sine model over the course of the year. During the late fall and earlywinter, relative proportion ofyoung workers (< 3rd instar) increased from 0 to 66.7% of the sample from the previous month, suggesting a change in temperature requirements arnong termite castes. These data demonstrate that Reticulitemes spp. termites are found year-round inhabiting active fire ant mounds, although relative caste proportions change seasonally. The hypothesis of a minimum soil temperature determining the movement of young Reticulitennes spp. workers into fire ant mounds (or other locations of increased temperature) is discussed.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationShelton, Thomas G.; Vogt, J.T.; Tanley, Marla J.; Appel, Arthur G. 2003. Monthly fluctuation of termite caste proportions (Isoptera) within fire ant mounds (hymenoptera: formicidae). Sociobiology Vol. 41(3): 571-581
KeywordsSolenopsis invicta, Reticulitermes spp., temperature dependence, niche exploitation
- Histiostoma Blomquisti N. SP. (Acari: Histiostomatidae) A phoretic mite of the red imported ant, Solenopsis Invicta Buren (Hymenoptera: Formicidae).
- Aspectos ecologicos, toxicologicos y agricolas de la hormiga brasileña Solenopsis invicta
- Efficacy of three citrus oil formulations against solenopsis invicta buren (Hymenoptera: Formicidae), the red imported fire ant1,2
XML: View XML