Skip to Main Content
The nantucket pine tip moth (Lepidoptera: Torticidae): a literature review with management implicationsAuthor(s): Christopher Asaro; Christopher J. Fettig; Kenneth W. McCravy; John T. Nowak; C. Wayne Berisford
Source: J. Entomol. Sci. 38(1): 1-40
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (2.94 MB)
DescriptionThe Nantucket pine tip moth, Rhyacionia frustrana (Comstock), an important pest of intensively-managed loblolly pine, Pinus taeda L., was first noted in the scientific literature in 1879. This pest gained notoriety with the establishment of loblolly pine monocultures throughout the southeastern United States during the 1950s. Current intensive forest management practices have led to increasing interest in managing this insect. Herein we review all Nantucket pine tip moth literature (1879-2002) by addressing the following subjects: biology and life history, natural enemies, sampling methodologies, site and stand influences, economic impact, and management strategies. Further, we provide management recommendations in the form of a decision chart that is based upon the best available information to date and our collective experience.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAsaro, Christopher; Fettig, Christopher J.; McCravy, Kenneth W.; Nowak, John T.; Berisford, C. Wayne. 2003. The nantucket pine tip moth (Lepidoptera: Torticidae): a literature review with management implications. J. Entomol. Sci. 38(1): 1-40
KeywordsRhyacionia frustran, pinus taeda, loblolly pine, intensive forestry, integrated pest management
- Efficacy tests and determination of optimal spray timing values to control nantucket pine tip moth - (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae) infestation
- Effects of intensive forest management practices on insect infestation levels and loblolly pine growth
- Shortleaf pine hybrids: growth and tip moth damage in southeast Mississippi
XML: View XML