Skip to Main Content
Winter bird community differences among methods of bottomland hardwood forest restoration: results after seven growing seasonsAuthor(s): Paul B. Hamel
Source: Forestry 76(2): 189-197
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (620 KB)
DescriptionForest community restoration in the primarily agricultural landscape of the Lower Mississippi Alluvial Valley (LMAV), USA, has been initiated for recreational, economic and biological objectives, including provision of habitat for migratory birds of late successional stands. A long-term demonstration experiment of succession under several afforestation treatments was established at the beginning of the 1995 growing season. Winter bird communities of these plots were sampled using area-search techniques. Abundance and distribution among treatments were compared for a total of 62 bird species observed in winters 1998/1999 to 2001/2002. Four to seven growing seasons after establishment, bird communities in stands of fast-growing trees (Populus deltoides) contained twice as many species as those in treatments involving slower-growing trees. The differences resulted from the addition of generalist forest-canopy-dwelling species to that suite of avian species of early successional habitats. These results confirmed accepted theory that considers vegetation structure to be a primary determinant of bird species occurrence and community composition.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHamel, Paul B. 2003. Winter bird community differences among methods of bottomland hardwood forest restoration: results after seven growing seasons. Forestry 76(2): 189-197
- Early response of interplanted nuttall oak to release from an eastern cottonwood overstory
- Populus deltoides Bartr ex Marsh.
- Planting Cottonwoods on Bottomlands
XML: View XML